1.1K views
Additional Fees

As soon as I received my "free" hotel and theme park voucher for attending a Welk presentation, I came to read review on Yelp on Casablanca Express. I knew about the tricks that they put you through and I was determined to follow the rules to the tee.

But guess what, they are still out to screw you over! 3 days after I received my voucher, I filled in my form and send my $75 deposit to Casablanca (via snail mail of course at their insistence). I triple checked everything and also took photos of the form just in case. I received the mail back saying that they have received my deposit, with the instructions for booking.

I followed the instructions to a tee, planned for a time that is not summer, not school holidays, not a busy season (I booked 5 Oct 2017), and I booked this months ahead of my travel date. They confirmed the booking and sent me a return mail, and said that someone would call me in a months time. When I heard nothing from them at the beginning of September 2017, I called them to ask them. They of course said that they cannot do anything for me until one month out from my travel date.

I can see no reason why they choose to enforce this policy except to increase the chance that they would upgrade. Finally on 7 September, I receive the call. As expected, I was told to pay over $200 to "upgrade" my accommodation as the one that comes free is terrible, not suitable for more than 2 adults, far away...etc. I was expecting the upsell but I did not need to upgrade.

Despite pressure, I resisted and said I would take the "free" accommodation. When Simon knew that he couldn't sell me, he became very rude, and would not tell me anything about the accommodation I would get, and just said I would receive the vouchers in the mail 7-10 days before the trip. I am sure they leave it to the last minute to pressure you some more. I waited until 7 days out before my travel date (26 Sep), and of course, having received nothing, to call again.

After I gave my confirmation number, they now told me, that my voucher would now be "emailed" to me, and I would only be able to receive it on Tuesday 3 Oct for my 5 Oct travel date, but I would also need to receive a call from their agent to "confirm". Despite saying that I have already confirmed everything and I would just like to receive my voucher that I actually paid $75 in taxes for, they refuse to review anything, and I would just have to wait for "the call" and "the email". I don't see any reason why they cannot send me my voucher except for another opportunity to upsell me on the call and to make my trip as inconvenient as possible.

I am not sure whether I will get to go on my trip that took 1+ year in the planning (I received the voucher in Sep 2016), but I sure will not go anywhere near Casablanca Express again. Hopefully by posting my experiences here it will help other unsuspecting prospects they will try to trick.

Product or Service Mentioned: Casablanca Express Room Booking.

Preferred solution: Let the company propose a solution.

I didn't like: Being lied to, Misleading scam, Misinforming practices, Rude staff, Constant upsell.

Company wrote 0 private or public responses to the review from Sep 27, 2017.

Comments

Wondering if he went on the trip. And how was it?

Sat through a 3 hour presentation to get a free airfare and hotel to Hawaii. After giving a $50 deposit and $159 for tax etc.

now they are giving me the most inconvenient travel itenerary with 3 connection flights to and from Hawaii. Unless I pay additional $567 if I want I get to Hawaii nonstop and stay in a hotel that is not 50 miles from airport. Total.

So the free airfare is not free anymore because that is how much is the Airfare right now to get to Hawaii. does anyone have a suggestion?

evilcc

Yes, actually, complaining online really helped. The manager Julio reached out to me and resolved everything for me.

I updated my Yelp review but forgot to update it here.

If you are having problems, I highly suggest complaining on Yelp.

Any update?